Best year round senior outing ideas with a caregiver
These are a few senior outing ideas that caregivers can do with seniors when out together.
Keep in mind that any of these activities will depend on mobility, participation, and permission.
Senior outings can be mentally and physically stimulating. A time will come when it will become much more challenging to carry out some of these senior outing ideas, and you will wish that you had done more to organize them with a caregiver when it was possible.
Seniors who really enjoy getting out of their usual environment will appreciate outings. This is a simple and easy way to add to the quality of your senior loved one(s) life. Have your caregiver take pictures while on outings to be a part of their joy.
Year round senior outing ideas:
- Community Events: Check online
- Museum Exhibitions
- Art Shows
- Attend clubs with senior who has a membership : even if it is just to go socially
- Fitness/ Spa
- Beauty Services
- Hair/Skin/Nail treatments
- somewhere scenic outdoors with benches to rest periodically.
- A shopping mall during the winter months.
- Swim Indoors
- Find out when the senior swim is scheduled
- Park close to the airport and watch planes land and take off.
- Aquarium visit
- Bake / Cook together
- Brewery tour-see how its made together
- Book a factory tour
- Check local tours of how things are made (i.e. Cheese, ice cream, chocolate, blown glass decor…)
- Art Class
- Pottery Class
- Ballet Production
- Theatre Production
- Movie Theatre
- Symphony Concert
- Arts & Crafts
- Food Tasting
- Visit unique local shops (i.e. handmade toy making shop, British Products specialty store etc)
- Art & Crafts Store and purchase a small project to do together
- Play Cards / UNO
- Chess, Checkers, jenga etc.
- Make a puzzle together
- Got to browse antique shops, 2nd hand stores, dollar stores (loads of fun inexpensive finds)
- Large Cathedral Tour
Winter outdoors ideas & activities:
- Scenic drive
- Cross country skiing
- Sleigh Ride
- Walking on cleared paths
- Sugar Shack
- Preparing Garden
Summer / fall ideas:
- Boat tour
- Visit the Zoo or animal Park
- Some parks you can stay in your car and drive by the animals
- Landmark areas or activities in your area
- Walk together along the water front, or ocean
- Park close to the airport and watch planes land and take off
- Municipality courts are usually free and open courts in the middle of the day
- Car Show
- Outdoor Festivals
- Garden center visit at a home improvement store
- Farm visit and pick local produce
*You can then bake together or carve the pumpkin
- Vineyard tour and sample the wine (if permitted)
- Local Bird Center visit
- Eco museum visit
- Horse, Dog, Cow Show etc.
- Memorial Events (i.e. veteran events, local events)
- Gardening- go to flower/garden market together and buy flowers to plant
- Fireworks event
- Farmer’s Market (indoor & outdoor)
- Outdoor Gardening